Momtrends: Workouts to Get You Ready for the Ski Season
As an avid skier and a lover of most winter sports, I take the pre-season pretty seriously. Fall is the time to make sure I ramp up my fitness routine so I can enjoy the snow all winter long. I like variety, so I’ve rounded up six workout to get you ready for ski season.
Related: Ski Moms resources for moms who ski and ride
SIX WORKOUT IDEAS TO GET YOU READY FOR SKI AND SNOWBOARD SEASON
Our ideas don’t involve gym memberships or expensive equipment. These resources are cheap, free or use subscription apps to get your sweat on.
- Run and train for a virtual 5k. The fall weather is perfect running weather. Now is the time to train for a 5k or 10k. There are loads of races that have gone online. Head here to get all the information you need including training tips and a few race ideas. Running will get your heart rate up and improve your cardiovascular health.Equipment required: running shoes.
- Hiking. Why not combine fitness with leaf peeping! Enjoy the change of season as you build your fitness level. Hiking is great ski prep because it builds muscles and connective tissue without the wear and tear running can cause. It’s low impact and great for dog owners too. I use the AllTrails app for new hike ideas and I bring my dog and a friend – it’s all perfectly safe and socially distanced. Equipment required: Hiking boots. Try the lightweight Merrell Siren Edge.
- Plank challenge. Last year my ski moms group participated in a “plank challenge.” We added a few seconds every day to a plank to get our core muscles in shape. Check out this 30-day Challenge on Pinterest. Planks strengthen your core muscles and improves posture, flexibility, and agility. A strong core helps keep the rest of your body balanced and in a proper position when you’re moving and shifting or turning on skis. Equipment required: nothing
- Online Yoga. Yoga builds nice supple muscles that are ideal for injury prevention. If you can’t get to a class, bring the class to you. There are tons of free videos available on Youtube. To get started, here are some of my favorite yoga sessions for skiers. Equipment required: All you need is a Yoga Mat.
- Jumping Rope. Jumping rope does wonders for building strength, and increasing overall muscle tone. And as a bonus, jumping rope burns over 1000 calories and hour! Crossrope is a fun workout that fits your busy schedule. Order a weighted jump ropes and then download the Crossrope app. I like that these workouts are quick and portable. Sign up for Crossrope here. Equipment required: Crossrope Get Lean Jumprope.
- Band Workout. Instead of cluttering up your house with free weights that gather dust, stock your home with an easy-to-store band set. A set of fitness bands can be used for Yoga, Pilates, and I especially like them for strength and stretching. You don’t need heavy weights to build muscle. Resistance bands come in several strengths, making them highly usable by most people. Google workouts on YouTube and you’ll be started in no time. I like the Fitness Blender series (free!). Equipment required: Resistance bands ($12)